Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) Consulting
Inspections and Rig Audits:
- Perform daily "walk-about" inspections of
the site to ensure safe practices and identify hazards.
- Review discrepancies with Operator and/or contractor
- Observe work crews while performing non-routine tasks
for safe work habits and procedures.
- Perform periodic audits of task performance and
JSA adhearance. Document Same.
- Assist contractor rep in performing periodic inspections
of the site to ensure compliance with OSHA.
- Document these in depth inspections and file properly.
Orientation of All Personnel Visiting
the Job Site:
- Review Operator/Contractor's General Safety Rules.
- Have Personnel sign a copy of the General Safety
Rules and file this document.
- Inform personnel of onsite emergency procedures and
well site evacuation plan.
- Review Operator/Contractor's contraband policies
(firearms, ammunition, drugs, and alcohol).
- Review perscription/non-perscription drug policy (if
- Go over any prohibited medications and/or restricted
- Review drug container policy for prescription drugs.
- Document any drugs brought onto location and file
- Procure doctor's release forms for any prescription
drugs (if required) and file these documents.
- Check to ensure personnel have proper PPE (head, eye,
foot, clothing, & ear protection)
- Check to ensure personnel have proper fall protection
PPE, if needed.
- Review JSA policy with all personnel.
- Make sure personnel have a current JSA for the task(s)
they will perform.
- Instruct personnel in JSA preperation procedures if
they need help.
- Make sure you have a copy of their JSA in your records
or in your computer.
- Review Short Service Employee (SSE) policy with all
- Identify any SSE's and make sure they have any
applicable SSE form filled out.
- Make sure all SSE's have an assigned mentor
and file their SSE forms.
- Inform personnel of the weekly safety or leadership
- Make sure they have a representative from their
- Review Operator/Contractor's Hazard Communications
program with all personnel.
- Inform personnel of location of MSDS books.
- Procure MSDS sheets from visitors who are bringing
chemicals onto site.
Safety Meetings at the Well Site:
- Procure, if possible, a copy of the well prognosis to
help prepare for upcoming meetings.
- Attend and participate in all pre-task safety meetings
is completed and filed
- Ensure that documentation of these meetings is completed
- Attend and participate in all weekly safety meetings
for the Operator and/or the drilling contractor.
- Document these meetings and file documents.
- Scribe the minutes from these meetings and maintain
a file of the same.
- Review any "Safety Bulletins" & contractor
safety notices in meetings.
- Attend and participate in all pre-tour safety meetings.
- Document these meetings
- Provide reference material for these meetings (JSA's,
procedures from safety manuals, etc.)
Job Safety Analysis:
- Assist in preperation and review of all JSA's from
contractor and service companies.
- Ensure that the number of JSA's reviewed per
day is entered in the statistical scorecard (CSS provided).
- Update base JSA's in the computer as the personnel
performing the tasks alter them.
- Maintain JSA manuals accessible to all personnel on
- Develop and maintain a current index in the front
of these manuals.
- Perform periodic JSA audits to verify compliance with
the JSA process and any trentding at risk behaviors.
- Enter audits into our computer program (associated
with the appropriate JSA's).
- Track problems noted in these audits for possible
unsafe trends and assign corrective actions.
Incident Investigation and Root Cause
- Document all injuries, illnesses and near misses and
enter into required reporting systems.
- Assist the Operator supervisor in identifying the
proper classification of the injury/illness.
- Maintain files of all incidents and enter into computer
and associate with applicable JSA.
- Maintain a database of personnel on site in the computer
to assist in completion of incident reports.
- In conjunction with Operator & Contractor reps,
prepare a "Root Cause Analysis" of all incidents.
- Enter into computer, associate with applicable incident/JSA,
and maintain file of same.
- Follow all corrective actions through all the way
- Champion the sharing of lessons learned through
meetings, Safety Alerts, or management reviews.
- Maintain a current record of all personnel on site at
- Enter all personnel assigned to well site into roster
- Deliver printouts of roster to Operator representative
on site as requested.
- Maintain Visitor's Log for all visiting personnel
- Maintain cre roster for all contractor personnel
on rotation on site.
- Maintain a database of information on personnel on site
in the computer.
- Assure the presence of MSDS sheets for all chemicals
- Maintain a current MSDS manual, accessible to all personnel
- Update MSDS manual as needed.
- Index MSDS manual for easy reference.
- Delvelop a listing of all mud chemicals being used on
site and the associated hazards and PPE.
- Post laminated copy of this form in mud mixing and
mud storage areas.
- Assist the contractor's rep in monitoring the site
for chemical spills, upsets, overflows, etc.
- Inspect the mud chemical storage area for spills resulting
from torn sacks or ruptured drums.
- Report any problems to contractor's rep for
- Ensure proper segregation of reactive chemicals
and proper labeling of all chemicals on site.
- Assist Operator rep and mud engineer with NPDES reports
and tests (on offshore sites).
- Document on proper forms and file. Ensure that forms
are submitted to Operator's office.
- Maintain open communications with Operator rep and contractor
rep on site on a dialy basis.
- Ensure that Operator rep has all safety data and forms
needed for transmittal to his office.
Training and Recordkeeping:
- Schedule and facilitate available safety training for
personnel on site (as per available training media).
- Maintain records of all training of personnel.
- Assist contractor in providing Behavioral Based Safety
training for new employees.
- Maintain documentation on training in files.
- Maintain records of work histories, and iolfield experience
on all contractor personnel.
- Provide instruction on JSA preparation, hazard communication
training, etc. as needed.
- Assist operator in complying with SEMS requirements
Site Specific Services:
- H2S monitoring and logging
- RespiratoryQuestionnaires and fit testing
- Benzene monitoring
- Maintain accurate records of any awards program applicable
to your particular location.
- Keep up with "safety award points" on
a daily basis, if applicable & ensure distribution
- Maintain records of "Performance Awards"
programs, where applicable.